Areas of Care
The multidisciplinary health care team plans and coordinates the delivery of care which stresses quality of life and maintenance of optimum levels of performance in residents' daily activities.
Shortly after the resident is admitted, the Multidisciplinary Health Care Team meets with the family and resident to develop and evaluate the plan of care. All available information is presented at this time, including social history, diagnosis, expectations of the resident family, and outside community interests.
Care conferences are then held annually, or as requested. The care plan is updated on a regular basis throughout the year. Should you be unable to attend the care conference a telephone conference can be arranged.
The Nursing department Personal Support Workers (PSW) have the primary responsibility to provide for the activities of daily living (bathing, providing nourishment, etc.).
Registered Practical Nurses (R.P.N.’s) are responsible for the administration of prescribed medications and treatments. They may also carry out other professional nursing duties, within their scope of practice, as required.
Registered Nurses (R.N.’s) are on duty 24 hours a day, also administer medications and treatments, provide oversight and coordination to all resident care. They are designated in Charge. Any visitor or resident may request, through any staff, to meet with the R.N.
St. Joseph's Manor is an equal opportunity employer and as such care may be delivered by an opposite gender caregiver.
Medical care is provided by the Home's Medical Director, Home Physician and Geriatric Nurse Practitioner or your attending Physician (attending Physicians must meet the standards and criteria as stipulated by the MOHLTC and the home).
Our nursing and medical staff adhere to minimal restraint philosophy, nursing restorative care program, routine skin care and advanced wound care programs.
On admission, medications are reviewed by the Registered Nurse and physician. All of your medications will be ordered through and provided by Rexall Specialty Pharmacy and administered to you by the Registered staff. A one week supply of any one drug is kept on hand. If you are planning a leave of absence, please notify the Registered staff on duty so that we can order an adequate supply of medication.
The home's staff are trained and able to provide care to terminally ill person through symptom and pain management. Ensuring comfort and maintaining the highest possible quality of life for as long as life remains. The staff will also provide support to families and loved ones during this difficult time. Volunteer palliative visiting service is also available.
Additional Health Services
St. Joseph's Manor provides additional health services should they be required by a resident.
- Oxygen therapy when needed with assessment by Respiratory Therapist. In house Equipment, including oxygen concentrators & portable oxygen is available. We can assess oxygen levels as needed.
- Behaviour Support Ontario staff to help manage the behaviour and psychological symptoms of Dementia.
- Foot care specialists. Staff will provide names for families to inquire.
- Restorative care /physiotherapy provided by one Physiotherapist and one Physiotherapist Assistant. Residents have the opportunity for individualized therapy as well as group exercise programs, based on the assessed needs of the participating residents.
- Dietitian services with nutritional counseling provided and therapeutic diets planned as required. The dietitian visits twice monthly and reviews all residents nutitional status.
- Occupational therapy and speech therapy can be accessed through the local Community Care Access Centre.
- Dental/oral assessment and procedures in home by visiting dental service.
- The local Hearing Society and CNIB can be referred to for audiology services.
- Laboratory services provide onsite blood work. Admission ECG's are done over at SJGH.
- Pharmacy provides a regular review of medications, Pharmacist on site weekly for care conferences and monthly for further audits and reviews. Daily delivery of medications and supplies.
- Social worker services can be consulted upon referral.